5 Ways to Guard Your Heart
Hang on a second! All you ever hear in the world, especially the week or month of Valentines, is “follow your heart”. So why am I talking to you today on this blog post and in the podcast episode HERE about the five ways to “guard your heart”?
Well, I’m glad you are wondering the same things too friend! Did you know that the word “heart” shows up 830 times in the KJV of the Bible?? It shows up WAY MORE, over four times more, than the word “love”!!! That shocked me because God is love! So why is it so important to know the truth about what God says about our hearts? I’ll tell ya…
Our hearts are
Proverbs 4:23 “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” (NIV) Think about those words for a minute. “Above all else”. Why is God putting so much emphasis into this verse for our wisdom and clarity? It’s the “for everything you do flows from it”. Friends, that is some powerful truth. Everything we do encompasses all of who we are, all of who we were created to be, all of our thoughts, feelings, speech, etc. It all flows from our hearts.
Being deceitful is the last thing we want to imagine or think of when it comes to love. But in Jeremiah 17:91-10, the truth says, “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? ‘I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to the deeds they deserve.” (NIV)
Our hearts will lead us astray. They will lie to us and lead us to follow down the wrong paths to the wrong people and places in our life. So, how can we have the hope of knowing our hearts are pure and clean from deceit?
Here are the five ways:
- Pray! Daily! “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” (NIV)
- Say these words out loud “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” from Psalm 51:10
- Know that the world will lead you either towards creation or towards the Creator. You have to be clear and mindful of which one you are following.
- God looks at our heart as opposed to our outer appearance like the world. 1 Samuel 16:7 shares that truth.
- God promises to give us the “desires of our heart” but that is only AFTER our hearts are aligned with His will. This world tries to misconstrue that truth and twist it to make you think God will give you anything YOU want. So not true friends! Psalm 37:4 “Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” (NLT)
Desires of our heart
In order for God to give us the desires of our heart, we must first align our hearts to His word, path, purpose and calling for our lives. The Life Coaching we do helps in all of those areas and more.
I’d love to have the chance to help you get to this place of true freedom, joy and peace friends! Go HERE for more information about life coaching.